Topeka RoadRunners Billet Families Information
Thank you for expressing an interest in the Topeka RoadRunners Billet Program.
Here is some basic information about the program:
• The RoadRunners place hockey players with host families, or “billet” families, as they are often called, during the hockey season. The billet families are an essential part of any successful junior hockey program and the RoadRunners are committed to developing and maintaining a billet program that is second to none.
• The players are all between the ages of 16-20, with the majority of the players being 18-20 years old. The players will be coming to Topeka from all across the country, as well as possibly from Canada and Europe. Being so far away from home at this age, the players need a very stable and supportive home environment during their stay in Topeka to help their success on and off the ice.
• The players will arrive in late August and will be in Topeka until the end of April. The players are typically given a short period of time to travel home at Christmas.
• Billet families will receive a monthly stipend of $300 per player to help offset the cost of housing a player. This is paid directly by the player and monitored by the billet coordinator.
• We have a team ‘Code of Conduct’ that the players must abide by while playing for the RoadRunners, and host families are expected to enforce these team rules. Upon being accepted as a host family, you will be given the team guidelines which will cover such topics as: curfew, social gatherings, problems that may occur, house rules, emergencies, etc. In addition to the team guidelines, players will be expected to follow any house rules that you may impose.
• Players will have practice daily during the week, with Sundays generally being a day off.
• A few of the players may still be in high school. High school aged players will either finish their schooling online, or will attend a local high school.
• Players not in high school will be required to either work part-time, take college classes, or perform pre-approved community service.
• Most players will have their own transportation. If not, transportation to practice, games and school and/or work is a detail that will be worked out with each player and is not the responsibility of the billet family.
As mentioned above, we want our billet family program to be second to none. We will work to match each player’s personality and background with the most appropriate billet home. Furthermore, each potential billet family is carefully screened and presented with our team’s expectations of the host family. Personal visits will be done throughout the year to ensure that both the player and the host family are meeting those expectations and guidelines.
Thank you for your interest in supporting the Topeka RoadRunners by participating in the billet program! If you are interested in billeting a player, please complete the application and return it to the address provided at the bottom of the form.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact our Billet Coordinator: